Friday, February 7, 2014

Cranberry Orange Lemon Tea Cake

Oh well, the original post calls it a bread -- but for me it is an awesome cake and yes I have it with my evening tea.. And so it is my orange lemon cranberry tea cake... :) :)



Ingredients
1.5 cups Flour
2 tsp  Baking powder
3/4th cup sugar
1 egg
1/3rd cup oil
1/3rd cup milk
a pinch of salt
1 tspn vanilla
Zest of one orange.
1/2 cup cranberries
1/2 cup candied lemon peel.
You may also use one cup of cranberries as in the original recipe. I wanted to increase the taste of orange and candied lemon peels was the nearest thing I had to recreating the taste of an orange.

Procedure

Sift the flour and the baking powder thrice. Do not ask me why , but I have this thing of having to sift thrice. ( Penny! Penny! Penny! ) 

 In a bowl, take the sugar and add the orange zest. Mix it properly for sometime till the sugar becomes orange and the oil of the zest pervades the entire house... Trust me, it smells wonderful. And it allows you to increase the flavor of orange zest in the cake. I picked this up from Dorie Greenspan's French Yogurt cake ( see post) .  If you are in a hurry, you may skip this step .

Add the oil, egg, milk, salt, vanilla. Mix them properly. Add in the cranberries and lemon peel. The recipe says bake it for 20-25 minutes. But she did not mention any oven temperature and so I preheated the oven at 180 degrees and baked it for all of 50 minutes!! And it still did not brown as beautifully as the original post. I guess I need to increase my oven temperature to 200 degrees centigrade and bake it.

Do check out the original post of the recipe at the villagecook.com


Bon appetit !!


No comments:

Post a Comment