Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chicken Sizzler


During my December trip, I picked up three sizzler plates from good old Pande and Sons at Sitabuldi, Nagpur. The memory of the  succulent sizzler at Yoko during my trip to  Baroda  this March,  inspired me enough to bring the plates out of their hibernation...   here goes....

Chicken roast
(a) 8 chicken things or chicken pieces weighing 800 grams
(b) Barbecue sauce  or Red wine and garlic marinade or any ready marinade of your choice. I have used barbecue sauce. 
(c) Alternately u may marinade in 1.5 tbspn vinegar + 3 tbsp tomato ketchup + 1 tbsp worcetshire sauce + 1 tbspn mustard sauce + 1/2 tsp of salt and pepper each (marinade from Nita Mehta's recipe book)  

Marinade the chicken . I have used Sadia chicken thighs as they are very soft. You may marinade them overnight or for an hour. I have thereafter roasted the chicken in an oven, basting with the sauce halfway through. I do not trim the fat as I do not baste with any butter or oil. 


Alternate  with pressure cooker
If you do not use an oven to cook chicken, here is the alternate. Take a pressure cooker, put a teaspoonful of oil and rotate the pressure cooker in a way to grease the entire bottom of the cooker. Place the chicken on the bottom of the cooker. Each chicken piece should touch the  bottom. Close the pressure cooker. Alight the pressure cooker. After one whistle, lower the flame and let it cook for another seven minutes. Put off the gas and let the cooker open. Remove the chicken  and reserve the liquid therein to prepare sauce. Yes, you do not need to heat the oil before placing the chicken or add any water. Eureka, your chicken is ready. 

Stuffed capsicum. 


I stuffed the capsicum halves with  a mixture of boiled potatoes, bread crumbs, butter, cheese gratings, grated garlic, a squeeze of lemon, salt and pepper to taste. I grilled it for ten minutes. You may similarly stuff large mushrooms - only exclude the boiled potatoes from the stuffing. Grill the mushrooms for five minutes.  

Glazed  vegetables
Stir fry chopped vegetables in generous dollop of butter. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Buttered rice.
Cook rice . The grains should be separate. Take a generous amount of butter. Fry chopped onions. Add salt, pepper and the rice. After mixing it thoroughly, add fried egg  and boiled peas. 

Final arrangement
Remove the iron plate from the wooden stand. Place it directly on flame and let it go red hot. Very carefully, use a pair of tongs and gloves to place the iron plate on the wooden tray. Arrange lettuce leaves on the plate. Arrange rice in the middle and place chicken on it. Place stuffed capsicum on one side and the glazed vegetables on the other. You may consider adding French fries like they do in restaurants. Pour sauce over the chicken. I heated barbecue sauce separately and poured on the chicken.  (I have not added too  much sauce in the pictures here to avoid covering the chicken) . If you have cooked the chicken in a pressure cooker, thicken the remainder liquid with maida. 

As I manage to burn myself very easily, Abhit helped me out with the final arrangements of the hot plate and food therein.


In a separate bowl, he took equal amounts of oil and water (as suggested by Tarla Dalal in her recipes) and poured it over the hot plate for the sizzle. The hotter the plate , the more the sizzle....


Bon appetit!  



1 comment:

  1. Yumm... 'am hungry just looking at these pictures! These look awesome! If only I was closer by to you so I could taste these as you set it up for this blog. Will try out the recipes and get back to you on my success(or not!)

    ReplyDelete